World agriculture sector has to face some urgent matters which came from some factors such as production, processing, financial, quality assurance, distribution and all those factors are integrated in the food supply chain system.
Samples of problems which need to solved immediately are:
- To increase and raise profit, some companies cut their production cost and it leads to unmeasurable and unsustainable production practices which causing unrecoverable massive damage such as:
- ⅕ greenhouse gas emission came from agricultural sector
- Irresponsible limited natural resource usage such as water, causing global drought
- Chemical synthetic fertilizer and pesticide application to crops washed into groundwater, streams and rivers which causing dead zone at the downriver
- Inhuman and irresponsible deforestation which threatens many species to extinction and even worse, it increases health problems for the human.
- Unfair trade practices where the middlemen buy the goods from the smallholder farmers with very low price (even lower from the production cost itself) while they (the middlemen) sell the goods with higher price to the buyer who can pay them with the higher price. Those practices economically imbalance for the farmers, they’ll trapped in debt to cover their life (and their family of course) cost. If this unfair practice continuously run, they’ll probably forced to sell their land to cover their life cost and, in the end, there will be no regeneration among the farmer’s family. If we leave it over like that, the number of farmers and their land will decrease and we’ll suffer from the food shortage.
Possible Solutions For Some Of The Problem Above Are:
- Irrigation system adaptation according to the produced commodity. For example, with the drip irrigation system we can make the adaptation according to the measured service area, the crop types and the soil characteristic. Another example, hydroponic system application which can save up to 80% compares to the conventional method of water usage by recirculating the water.
- Local goods consumption (even if they look not so appealing). 1/3 of the world harvest goods can’t be sold in the supermarket due to addition of the food cosmetics. Knowing that fact opened our eyes to keep consuming our local food even they look not so appealing, as long as they’re fresh and has no pest defect on it.
- Shorter distribution line for shorter lifetime crops. Crops which has shorter lifetime shall not distributed to the far which generates higher carbon emission from the transport vehicle.
- Increase harvest value by processing the harvest into something more valuable and more contribution for the farmers, for examples, farmers can produce their own jam brand to increase the value of the strawberry
- Builds a harvest product processing facility. Sample case, instead of sells the coffee cherry to the market with very low price, the farmers can sell the processed coffee bean with higher price to the market.
- Provides educational center to helps farmers run the sustainable and responsible production practices by using the advance technology such as computer and smartphone
- Provides market channel for farming products, materials and tools with friendly fund access for the smallholder farmers.
- And more at https://tanibox.com
With so many potential opportunities to develop the agricultural sector we establish Tanibox with populist economic spirit which focus on the smallholder farmers around us. We’re also have join cooperation with the populist economic institutions such as koperasi.
Visit: https://tanibox.com for more Agritech Solutions